[bf1942] Anti cheat tool

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Tue Nov 18 14:13:51 EST 2003

Prevention is better than detection. Anyone who ever ran a CS server
will remember that 'Cheating death' was far, far superior to Punkbuster.
Trying to detect cheats on the client and then send that information to
the server is far too easy to work around, and the game becomes an arms
race to see who can release fastest; The cheat coders, or the anti-cheat
coders. History has shown that usually, the cheat coders release a lot
faster.

I don't want another client/server app like PB. It's a hassle for the
players on the server, and it flat out doesn't work long term. The only
feature of PB that I liked was the screenshot upload ability. Something
like that could be useful, but again, still requires the client/server
part and still is comparitively easy to work around.

I don't claim to have an answer or a better suggestion, but I think the
place where this needs to be tackled is by DICE internally, and not by
licensing a kludgy third party technology that doesn't work properly.

There's stuff that could (should) be done in the server code now that
would help. For example, the cheats that show where the opposing team
are on the minimap wouldn't work unless that data was sent to the client
- so don't send it in the first place. Likewise, positional data should
only be sent if the opposing team member is within your sphere of
vision. This was how Cheating Death worked with CS and it was highly
successful.

On the other hand, I don't find cheating in BF based games to be that
bad yet. The style of gameplay means that being able to tell where your
opponents are isn't a massive help like it is in a closer quarters game
like CS. Sure, there's some cheating going on, but I don't think it's
ruining the game like it did with CS. Not yet, at any rate.

James