AW: [bf1942] Should i Wine or should i go ?

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Mon May 26 23:56:59 EDT 2003

--On Monday, May 26, 2003 10:06 PM -0500 Darth BoBo
<rickbuford at greeblesnort.com> wrote:

> But, please respect the efforts being used to our benefit and quit
> whining. If you are unhappy with the product, feel free to vent directly
> to Dice, I'm sure they have contact information on the web somewhere.
> Bitching at developers won't help us in the least.

Thanks, that needed to be said. Developers are the guys in the trenches,
not the generals. They don't have much say in resource allocation. If you
don't like the way a war is being fought, you don't whine at the enlisted
men.

But I recommend bitching at EA first, not DICE, since EA holds the purse
strings and decides where the effort goes, and your effect will mainly be
on future games, possibly from other developers, not on this one. It was
stated some time ago on this list that DICE knew the value of a Linux
server but their hands were tied by the publisher (EA).

The one thing that can be done for devs in general is to encourage them to
work on the Linux dedicated server early in the development process (now
far too late for BF, and DICE is paying the price for that now) so that the
system is cross-platform from the ground up and not hacked on after the
fact. Be careful not to tie yourself to a platform SDK and don't litter
your code with platform-specific stuff. Instead, find a cross-platform
framework to write to. I understand that libsdl is great for game devs, and
I'm looking at wxWindows for more ordinary GUI and threading stuff. Anyone
know of others to consider?