AW: [bf1942] Should i Wine or should i go ?

Darth BoBo rickbuford at greeblesnort.com
Mon May 26 23:06:07 EDT 2003

This is pretty off-topic, so if that bothers you, please stop reading now.

Now, this is a very similar situation to when you've had a problem at
your average retail outlet. There comes a time at which you have to ask
yourself:
1. How important is this?
2. If they were to actually come out and say, "Go to hell", what could
you do?
3. What is their incentive to help you?
4. What is their ability to resolve your situation?

Since I've been in the situation where someone has actually said, "Go
away, we are not going to help you", I sincerely appreciate a company
that is willing to continue to build and support their product. Dice's
recent decision to become more involved in the linux dedicated server
should help us a great deal by giving us alot more access to development
resources. However, I don't for one second think this list was ever
intended to be a general bitch session. It was and is a forum for linux
admins to --help-- the developers build us a better moustrap. Whining
about timetables will do nothing but give Dice and others a bad taste
for linux in the future. Do I think it's silly to launch a multiplayer
game without a solid linux dedicated server? Yes. Is Dice trying to
correct this mistake? Yes. If you think you can do better, then please
do so. But, please respect the efforts being used to our benefit and
quit whining. If you are unhappy with the product, feel free to vent
directly to Dice, I'm sure they have contact information on the web
somewhere. Bitching at developers won't help us in the least.

Rick
Network Administrator - CARFAX, Inc