[bf1942] Bandwidth choke

Fredriksson, Andreas andreas.fredriksson at dice.se
Fri May 16 04:13:17 EDT 2003

The renderer stuff is ripped out of the Linux port so I don't think
it would work. I know it won't in 1.4. However increasing the FPS
past 60 would only gain a marginally better UDP handling on windows,
but with the 1.4 server on Linux you wouldn't notice any change.

The reason is that BF is stressing the windows UDP layer very heavy
to the point where (at 64 players) it can barely keep up unless it
gets very frequent polls. The Linux sockets implementation is better
and running the server over 60 fps doesn't help very much.

In fact it would work just fine to run it in 30 fps as well, but that's
really the lower limit. Anything less and you'd get severe hickups.

I might add a FPS setting to the server for an 1.4 update later on if
people want to play with it, it's a fairly small change.

One thing I've added this week is an ncurses status monitor that you
can enable with +statusMonitor 1. It shows a few server parameters,
IP address and port, the number of players, current map etc. I made it
an option to not disturbe people who want a "clean" console.

// Andreas