NTP (was: Server query tools)

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Thu Jun 5 12:41:07 EDT 2003

--On Wednesday, June 04, 2003 6:40 PM -0700 Mike Palmer <stuff at dustsmoke.com>
wrote:

> PLEASE FIX YOUR CLOCK
>
> If you use a NT based windows
> 'net time /setsntp:tock.usno.navy.mil"
> You'll never have to worry about it not being dead accurate again.
>
> I suppose pretty much all of us unix users know how to sync using our NTP
> deamon. So I won't go into that.
>
> It's just kind of annoying tracking down misdated emails. Expecially with
> some command line mail agents (depending on how you sort)

tock is not the best server for end users to query. That's like everyone
trying to use a root DNS server directly for name services. "Stratum 1"
servers should be used only by ISP's. End-users should use a stratum 2 or 3
server, instead.

Ask your ISP what NTP server to use. In many cases they have them running on
their DNS servers and routers, and they may have a machine named "ntp" or
"time" just for the purpose. Try using ntptrace against your router or DNS
server and see if it responds. (Try "ntptrace matureasskickers.net" to see my
game server.)

There's also a list of public servers available through a link at
<http://www.ntp.org/>. Here's the current direct link:

<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html>

If you use Linux for your home gateway like me, set your workstations to get
their time from it. See the ntp documentation on how to set it up to be both a
client to your ISP and server to your LAN.