[bf1942] Priority changing

ScratchMonkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Fri Jul 25 17:38:05 EDT 2003

--On Friday, July 25, 2003 11:18:28 PM +0200 "Andreas, Fredriksson"
<andreas.fredriksson at dice.se> wrote:

> the server restarts itself via exec() at map changes (due a to legacy
> win32 issue and the fact that we build from the same sources), so this
> will not work.

Does the map loading (and hence priority switch) happen as the program
starts or exits? If when it starts, then one would spawn the niced thread
shortly after startup, and block for it to complete the map load. It
doesn't matter that there's an exec at map changes. (Unless I misunderstand
the process.)

> Threading priorities are also known to be flaky under
> Linux :-(

OTOH, that's a pretty good reason to avoid my solution. :(