[bf1942] Info on the next beta

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Thu Jul 24 01:47:28 EDT 2003

Andreas, Fredriksson wrote:

> Any and all statistics and performance data are always welcome,
> I don't have that amount of players here. To bad I don't have the
> ability to run an internet server during development either. :-/

CPU use doesn't seem to map directly to in-game performance. For
example, on my server, at 32 players it plays great and uses about 30%
cpu. Bumping to 40 players increases cpu use to maybe 50% but the game
becomes almost unplayable due to a sort of "lag" in game. There's
certainly no lack of cpu power or bandwidth, so I'm not sure why this
would be the case.

Also, since I'm mailing. OB7 seems to crash on a fairly regular basis.
This seems to happen more frequently the more players you have. When I
was running at 40 players, it would crash 6 or 7 times a day. Now I'm
back down to 32, it crashes maybe 2 or 3.

The output from the vast, vast majority of the core files produced in
each crash is as follows:

(gdb) bt full
#0  0x0849d0a1 in
dice::ref2::io::NetworkManager::getNetUpdate(dice::ref2::io::BitStream&,
dice::ref2::io::NetworkableDescriptor*,
dice::ref2::io::NetworkableStateMask*, int, bo
ol) ()
No symbol table info available.
#1  0xc2123b9c in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#2  0xffffffff in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
Cannot access memory at address 0xffffffff

Regards,

James