[bf1942] BF remote console port communication

Kevin Lockitt kevin at blackbagops.com
Thu Jan 30 17:13:50 EST 2003

Not quite my friend, you can't remote control a server using a server
browser protocol... :)

> BF1942 communicates with the server using a combination of
> gamespy, and its proprietary protocol (over UDP 4711 I
> think).  The proprietary protocol is intentially obfuscated
> and potentially encrypted.  No plaintext goes over it at all,
> and I have heard no talk about cracking it- (I don't want to
> crack it- I just want to know what names correspond to which
> IPs, which gamespy won't tell you).
>
> The RemoteConsole uses the proprietary protocol too. :(

The console protocol is neither obfuscated nor encrypted and is so
simple that anyone with a packet sniffer and a penchant for puzzles
could work it out in an hour. I'm talking from experience here.

> AFAICT, BFRemoteManager runs RemoteConsole and overrides the
> IO handles.  It then constantly runs game.listPlayers to get
> IP addresses, and internally correlates them with the gamespy data.

You underestimate me my friend. BFRM talks directly with the server
using the console protocol.

> Because there is no linux version of RemoteConsole, I'm going
> to have to do the same thing myself in win32 :(.
>

> So, in summary, I want a linux version of RemoteConsole.

This won't work so don't even try it. I can provide a Linux version of
RemoteConsole.exe in the event that Ryan doesn't plan on including one
in the final release of the Linux ded server.

> :)
>
> -Jonathan

Kevin Lockitt

kevin at blackbagops.com