[bf1942] BF remote console port communication

oblio jjlupa at lupavista.jamdata.net
Thu Jan 30 13:17:11 EST 2003

OK, let me preface, by saying you rock.

Now...

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:13:50AM +1100, Kevin Lockitt wrote:
> > BFRemoteManager (from black bag ops) communicates with the
> > server using regular old gamespy protocol. \\status\\, etc.
> > You can write a 4 line perl program to get this data back.
> > Things like AllSeeingEye work this way too.
>
> Not quite my friend, you can't remote control a server using a server
> browser protocol... :)

This is certainly true... I figured you were doing it all through
the handle-redirected DedicatedServer (or RemoteConsole) program shelled.

> The console protocol is neither obfuscated nor encrypted and is so
> simple that anyone with a packet sniffer and a penchant for puzzles
> could work it out in an hour. I'm talking from experience here.

You win.  I snuffed the packets, and played with them breifly- I
give up quickly but frankly, I'm not sure I have the puzzle breaking
prowess of you. I _swear_ I saw BFRemoteManager using the gamespy
protocol too in those packet logs.

> You underestimate me my friend. BFRM talks directly with the server
> using the console protocol.

I guess the moral is it can be done. Now I have to decide whether to do
it. :/ It would beat the heck out of the handle redirection hack I wanted
to do.  Its a shame (that part of) your code isn't open. :)

Thanks for the corrections!
-Jonathan