[bf1942] BF remote console port communication

oblio jjlupa at lupavista.jamdata.net
Thu Jan 30 09:17:32 EST 2003

This is kind of OT, but at least I can give some solid information here.

I've recently spent a lot of time on this trying to build "a better logger".

BFRemoteManager (from black bag ops) communicates with the server using regular old gamespy protocol.
\\status\\, etc. You can write a 4 line perl program to get this data back. Things like AllSeeingEye work
this way too.

BF1942 communicates with the server using a combination of gamespy, and its proprietary protocol (over UDP
4711 I think).  The proprietary protocol is intentially obfuscated and potentially encrypted.  No plaintext
goes over it at all, and I have heard no talk about cracking it- (I don't want to crack it- I just want to
know what names correspond to which IPs, which gamespy won't tell you).

The RemoteConsole uses the proprietary protocol too. :(

AFAICT, BFRemoteManager runs RemoteConsole and overrides the IO handles.  It then constantly runs
game.listPlayers to get IP addresses, and internally correlates them with the gamespy data.

Because there is no linux version of RemoteConsole, I'm going to have to do the same thing myself in win32
:(.

So, in summary, I want a linux version of RemoteConsole.

:)

-Jonathan