[bf1942] how do u guys see the game in the browser?

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu Jan 2 16:14:50 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:00:23PM -0000, john wrote:

>Does that mean the server has a private or public IP address? If you are
>doing masquarading / NAT of some kind then I could imagine that might well
>break it.

Warning, minor rant ahead.

This is one of those things which the server writers never document.
(OK, it's not as if they ever document _anything_ much - Ryan's READMEs
are about the best I've seen, and even then there's a need for
third-party files.) "Just what does this IP setting mean?"

Scenario: I'm running a server farm on a /28 netblock (as indeed I am).
I have a NATting firewall between the outside world and the server farm.
The internal servers have addresses like:

10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, etc.

which map to outside addresses like:

3.4.5.1, 3.4.5.2, 3.4.5.3, etc.

A packet coming in to 3.4.5.1 will get transparently rewritten by the
firewall to go to 10.0.0.1, and vice versa outbound.

So. Does the server IP setting mean "which interface, of the
hypothetical multiple network interfaces on this piece of hardware,
should I bind to?" - in which case I set it to 10.0.0.1. Or does it mean
"what IP address should I put in my special packets to let other
machines know where to find me?" - in which case I set it to 3.4.5.1. Or
does it mean both, in which case I don't get to run the server?

Roger