[bf1942] how do u guys see the game in the browser?

john g-lists at cloned.org.uk
Thu Jan 2 16:36:30 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Burton West" <roger at firedrake.org>
To: <bf1942 at icculus.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 9:14 PM
Subject: Re: [bf1942] how do u guys see the game in the browser?

> Scenario: I'm running a server farm on a /28 netblock (as indeed I am).
> I have a NATting firewall between the outside world and the server farm.
> The internal servers have addresses like:
>
> 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, etc.
>
> which map to outside addresses like:
>
> 3.4.5.1, 3.4.5.2, 3.4.5.3, etc.
>
> A packet coming in to 3.4.5.1 will get transparently rewritten by the
> firewall to go to 10.0.0.1, and vice versa outbound.
>
> So. Does the server IP setting mean "which interface, of the
> hypothetical multiple network interfaces on this piece of hardware,
> should I bind to?" - in which case I set it to 10.0.0.1. Or does it mean
> "what IP address should I put in my special packets to let other
> machines know where to find me?" - in which case I set it to 3.4.5.1. Or
> does it mean both, in which case I don't get to run the server?

It means the IP bound on that interface.

This is the problem with NAT. You won't be able to set it to 3.4.5.1 as
it'll look for that on the local network card and see its not there, and
hence not be able to bind to it. If you set it to 10.0.0.1 explicitly, the
server will (probably) reject any packets not sent to that IP. I assume your
firewall would rewrite everything correctly so you're probably OK on that
front.

john