DNS (was: Punkbuster confirmed for 1.6)

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Tue Dec 2 21:52:17 EST 2003

--On Tuesday, December 02, 2003 10:45 PM +0000 Steven Hartland
<killing at barrysworld.com> wrote:

>> I've added threaded DNS resolution to the server to avoid any DNS lockups,
>> but this might also mean that PB might not be able to update itself when
>> a DNS query has been stalled for a long time, so admins using PB will want
>> to learn about how to tweak the updating.
>
> Just so ur aware DNS lookups are not thread safe under FreeBSD. It has
> caused many a problem for UT. You might want ensure this is covered by
> a mutex if not already.

Are we all running a caching nameserver on the same box? I do that anyway to
support my web server, forums, and email, but it should help any server that
needs to do name resolution, by caching the results.

If you run Red Hat and aren't already running BIND to host a domain, just
install the caching-nameserver RPM. It requires the named (BIND) RPM, and
provides just the canned config files to run it as just a caching nameserver.
Then use chkconfig or ntsysv to enable the named service.