Custom map downloading (was: Punkbuster confirmed for 1.6)

Scratch Monkey ScratchMonkey at SewingWitch.com
Wed Dec 3 00:06:53 EST 2003

--On Tuesday, December 02, 2003 11:46 PM -0500 Jon Wolberg <MMmmGood at cox.net>
wrote:

> The problem I see with this is the Q3 engine, which is most well known for
> having the auto map download, has VERY small map files in comparison to BF.
>
> You'd either have to make it very fast, which would suck up a lot of
> bandwidth, or no one will use it because no one wants to download a 40+mb
> file at 10k

That's partly dealt with by allowing the server to delegate the download to
another server.

What's included with a custom map? All the .rfa files I have on my server are
from 20k to a little over a megabyte. Hardly big downloads.