[bf1942] Punkbuster confirmed for 1.6

Steven Hartland killing at barrysworld.com
Tue Dec 2 17:45:10 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Fredriksson" <andreas.fredriksson at dice.se>
> PB works with multiple BF hosts by relying on the overlayPath feature
> (also available on win32 with 1.6) and keeps a separate pb installation
> for each instance.

Cool shame it needs a full seperate install but with auto downloads theres
no other way so nice one.

> There are commands available to control the automatic update procedure
> you can use to set the amount of simultaneous updates and you can also
> try to force an update if DNS resolution has been stalled or if a previous
> update attempt failed due to other network issues.

 :)

> I've added threaded DNS resolution to the server to avoid any DNS lockups,
> but this might also mean that PB might not be able to update itself when
> a DNS query has been stalled for a long time, so admins using PB will want
> to learn about how to tweak the updating.

Just so ur aware DNS lookups are not thread safe under FreeBSD. It has
caused many a problem for UT. You might want ensure this is covered by
a mutex if not already.

> This info will of course be available in the online documentation for the
> system.

Never will I cease to be amazed at the quality / thought behind ur work
Andreas ur a true shining light of example.

    Steve / K