[bf1942] Slow reports from GameSpy

James Gurney james at globalmegacorp.org
Wed Aug 27 17:35:01 EDT 2003

This is most likely because of the way gamespy scans servers. To quote
the All Seeing Eye manual:

"Eye separates server refreshes in two processes:
Pinging = determining the round-trip delay, or ping, for a server
Scanning = retreiving the server status (player names, map, hostname etc.)

Most game server browsers do both of these in one pass, that is, they
only scan the servers and calculate pings from the status packets'
round-trip delay. This method works fine if we have infinite bandwidth,
but in real life situations the measured pings will be badly skewed. The
reason for this is that when two large packets arrive at the same time,
the second one will have to wait for the first one to go through the
slow link. This might be as long as 500 milliseconds on slower
connections, so the measured ping will be 500ms off."

If you want (more) accurate pings, then use ASE.

James