[aquaria] massive pile of patches now in icculus tree...

Andrew Church achurch+aquaria at achurch.org
Mon Apr 25 19:48:05 EDT 2011

>Disabling display lists is definitely the way to go, and it might make
>sense to rip out the code for supporting them entirely, as that'd likely
>result in a reduction of complexity.

On the contrary, they improved performance on my own laptop with an
Intel integrated chipset (though not markedly, I admit); and anecdotal
information suggests display lists are still faster than VBOs on NVidia
cards, though my workstation is too fast for me to tell the difference
either way.  Yes, display lists are deprecated in modern OpenGL, but
Aquaria's engine doesn't target modern OpenGL, so that's a moot point.

In any case, the code originates from my PSP work, and the difference is
_very_ noticeable on the PSP -- the use of display lists boosted render
speed by a factor of $HUGE.  So no, I'm not going to rip it out. (:

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/