[aquaria] massive pile of patches now in icculus tree...

Mikko Rasa tdb at tdb.fi
Mon Apr 25 07:04:53 EDT 2011

On 25.04.2011 13:48, Andrew Church wrote:
>> Disabling display lists is definitely the way to go, and it might make
>> sense to rip out the code for supporting them entirely, as that'd likely
>> result in a reduction of complexity.
>
> On the contrary, they improved performance on my own laptop with an
> Intel integrated chipset (though not markedly, I admit); and anecdotal
> information suggests display lists are still faster than VBOs on NVidia
> cards, though my workstation is too fast for me to tell the difference
> either way.  Yes, display lists are deprecated in modern OpenGL, but
> Aquaria's engine doesn't target modern OpenGL, so that's a moot point.

That's interesting.  I take the performance improvement was in the
context of Aquaria?  Does it use VBOs in an efficient way (both vertex
and index data in buffers, rendering with triangle strips) if display
lists aren't enabled?

I'm not buying the claim about display lists being faster on Nvidia
hardware without any evidence though.  Maybe I'll whip some up myself if
I have time.

> In any case, the code originates from my PSP work, and the difference is
> _very_ noticeable on the PSP -- the use of display lists boosted render
> speed by a factor of $HUGE.  So no, I'm not going to rip it out. (:

All right, I can't claim to know anything about PSP graphics hardware,
so if display lists improve performance there, they have a reason to exist.

--
Mikko