[aquaria] Scenario colision detection issues in achurch.org hg/aquaria tip

Andrew Church achurch+aquaria at achurch.org
Fri Dec 31 16:44:35 EST 2010

>> collisions are calculated by reading the texture data with glGetTexImage(),
>
>That sound you hear is a dozen Apple OpenGL engineers' heads exploding.   :)
>
>We should probably not read back from the GL, broken drivers or not.

With all due respect, I disagree.  glGetTexImage() is part of the core
OpenGL spec, even in OpenGL 4.1, and this is actually the first case I've
heard of where that is even a potential problem.  As far as I'm concerned,
any driver that doesn't fully implement the specs is broken and should be
shunned. (:

(This of course doesn't apply to OpenGL ES, but that's a whole different
kettle of fish.)

  --Andrew Church
    achurch at achurch.org
    http://achurch.org/