[aquaria] Sound issues with OpenAL

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Tue Dec 15 15:56:28 EST 2009

> I guess the corresponding bug in Launchpad regarding OpenAL would be
> this one  : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openal-soft/+bug/464556

It's probably OpenAL-Soft misusing ALSA, or a buggy driver, or both.
We just went through a lot of pain with SDL to get this to work well,
and found a lot of longstanding, non-obvious bugs in our code...but
also found some drivers for perfectly reasonable audio hardware just
simply don't work well.

The OpenAL shipping with Aquaria is a recent snapshot of OpenAL-Soft's
Subversion repository...I'll have to dig into it. It might sense to
just have OpenAL talk directly to that SDL code we just spent all that
time debugging.

--ryan.