[airstrike] autopackage?

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Mon Feb 20 10:21:38 EST 2006

Hi Lemmit,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 02:06:06PM +0200, Lemmit Kaplinski wrote:
> I've wondered - has anyone thought of packaging Airstrike as an
> autopackage (see www.autopackage.org) at some point?

Well, we are far away from a release, so this has to wait. At least I'm
not opposed to a distribution neutral binary installer. A possible
alternative to autopackage could be the loki installer
(http://icculus.org/loki_setup/). I've not yet made any binary packages
and don't know the pros and cons of those two installers.

> those who are not that familiar with the whole "./configure; make; make
> install" mantra.

We are not even there, we only have a "make" and "./airstrike". Some
kind of configure script and an "install" target in the Makefile are
indeed needed.

> There are two basic thing that are required to create an autopackage:
> relocatability (no hardcoded paths, everything is relative to the binary -
> makes user installs possible.

This is already fulfilled, I think.

> and managing dependencies.

Those have to be found out (and decided what to require: readline
(requiring termcap or ncurses) and SDL_mixer are optional, SDL and
SDL_image are required at the moment).

> Well - this is just a thing to consider, but would make me and others, who
> might not be able to test and enjoy the game right now, quite happy :)

Well, at the moment airstrike is more a technology demo than a game. But
I'm sure it will be considered when reaching (pre-)release state.

Erik