[sdlsound] SDL_Sound (improvements?) (fwd)

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Thu Apr 4 09:05:35 EST 2002

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

 > I haven't looked at the code at all, yet,

Me neither, but...

Matej Knopp wrote:

 > The design of Sound Interface (SI) differs from SDL_Sound a bit. It
 > has support for adding user loaders and changing the priority of
 > loaders, so you can for example give the ModPlug loader higher prority
 > than the MikMod loader and automatically play all the modules with
 > ModPlug.

That's an idea I've been toying with, so far without any attempt of
actually implementing it. I tentatively decided that it wouldn't be all
that useful as long as SDL_sound still requires all the external
libraries the compiled loaders depend on (e.g. both libmikmod and
libmodplug).

I guess it would be possible, on some platforms at least, to have the
loader dlopen() the required libraries as needed. But I've never
actually tried that so I don't know how big a can of worms that would
open up.

Torbjörn Andersson