[quake2] quake2 fps problems, gamma, alsa and mouse

Brendan Burns brendanburns at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 08:20:41 EDT 2005

Hey,
On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 13:09 +0200, Anders Storsveen wrote:
> I'm having some weird problems, with quake2-qmax I have a stable fps
> right under the cl_maxfps var, however in regular quake2 I got like
> 60-70 fps max! that's really weird, isn't the entire difference between
> qmax and regular some textures?

No, there's a bunch of different OpenGL code between qmax and regular,
its weird that regular is slower though, the only reason I can think of
is because regular is using some mode that is software driven on your
card, but that seems *really* unlikely since you have a relatively
recent video card...

> Also the mouse is really weird in glx-mode, it's some kind of negative
> acceleration, when I move it real slow it goes the wrong way, until I
> turn up the speed just a little, it comes to a stop and then goes the
> right way. It's really problematic!

Is this is the latest CVS version?  There are some mouse bug fixes
checked in...

> and the last thing is that the gamma mode is different in sdl and glx, I
> have noticed and posted about this before. I think it's the gamma method
> it uses, glx uses desktop gamma/hw-gamma somehow, which is very nice and
> crips. while SDL uses software-gamma/brightness, which washes out the
> colors and is horrible!

I don't think there's too much that can be done about this, except to
adjust the gamma through the game (look at the readme for directions)

> also I get alsa buffer underuns now, which makes my sound go in a loop,
> and I get 13-15fps in the game, If I do s_initsound 0 and snd_restart
> the game goes back to normal!

Alsa sound is not quite 100%, I'd use alsa's oss emulation for now.

Hope that helps,
--brendan