[quake2] difference between glx and sdl opengl implementation

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Wed Mar 23 18:36:41 EST 2005

ok, guys I was playing around with nvidia-settings and I found the root of
the problem.

GLX somehow gets access to hardware gamma, while sdl does not (and uses
some software hack to make it happen). This results in much poorer
quality, while hwgamma justs ups the gamma and keeps the contrasts and
stuff the software gamma (which i call it, I have no idea what it is)
justs makes colors brighter.

I tested this while using nvidia-settings and using the gamma-slider the
following way.
When using glx and sdl in fullscreen, both at the lowest gamma setting
under the video menu they look quite similiar, however when setting both
to max they look very different, glx far superior. but when going to
windowed mode, they both look just the same again. This seems to me that
when going to fullscreen, the desktop gives up its hold over hwgamma and
glx picks it up and uses it, while sdl does not. This could be that sdl
just doesn't do it at all, or that they use different fullscreen modes or
something, that in sdl's case doesn't free up hwgamma.

Another proof that hwgamma is used on glx and not on sdl is that if you
actually set hwgamma with the nvidia-settings gamma-slider to about 1.9
which i would believe is around the max of the gamma slider in q2, the
colours, contrast and texture looks just like glx does.

I tried to peek a little into the code, but I'm not experienced enough to
make anything useful out of it, i'm also not sure what files to look in.
This could be a very simple problem to fix, so it would be great if
someone could look into it because hwgamma is FAR better than software
gamma. Also, I personally can't use glx because of the buggy mouse
(acceleration and negative movment when moving slow).