[quake2] this is just alittle out of hand

Buck Rekow rekow at bigskytel.com
Fri Jan 14 03:34:02 EST 2005

Thomas J Fogal wrote:

> <41E7646F.3040703 at bigskytel.com>Buck Rekow writes:
>

>>I built quake2 on my alpha last night, and both ref_gl and ref_soft were
>>set to yes yet it built no video drivers. WHY?
>>

>The build system (aka that one monolithic makefile), I would guess.
>I kind of.. err.. umm.. promised a new build system during this
>break... but it hasn't happened.. sorry. Its turned out to be a much
>larger task than I was expecting.
>
>The main issue is that the makefile sees something that isnt one of its
>supported architectures:
>
>ifneq ($(ARCH),x86_64)
>ifneq ($(ARCH),i386)
>ifneq ($(ARCH),axp)
>ifneq ($(ARCH),ppc)
>ifneq ($(ARCH),sparc)
>
>notice 'alpha' isnt included. I'm kind of surprised it even built at
>all, because the next line is:
>
>$(error arch $(ARCH) is currently not supported)
>
>What does 'uname -a' give you?
>
>If your make lore is strong, add an 'ifneq [. . .],alpha)' line, and
>then add some appropriate lines below for alpha too, similar to the
>'ifeq's youll see below the 'ifneq' lines.
>
>HTH, and good luck,
>
>-tom

alpha == axp
DEC alpha axp? big bad 64 bit things that still beat up itaniums?  I
have several. Though the binary built.. no video drivers built. I have a
fairly heavy duty GL card in one (diamond fireGL 3000 pro), console
likes it, X doesn't (thanks debian), but i should be able to run it
ref_soft or ref_glx if i had the drivers..