[quake2] Icculus need fixes

Brendan Burns brendanburns at comcast.net
Sat Apr 2 22:06:54 EST 2005

Any binary-only mods won't work with Icculus q2, that's just the way it
is.  There are changes to the game's internals structures that preclude
them working with binary only mods.    If complete source is available
for the mod they can be recompiled and they should work just fine with
icculus q2.

On the other hand, id's q2 doesn't support joysticks, retexturing, or
any of the other features people have added into the code base over the
years (including a number of security fixes) so its a trade-off between
mod compatibility and other improvements

The only "fix" that would allow better mod compatibility would be some
sort of glue code that adapts old game.so's to work with icculus q2.
Anyone who wants to code and contribute that is welcome to do so...  (I
have many, many more pressing engagements...)

I hope that helps explain the situation.
--brendan