[quake2] Icculus Q2 (Gentoo build), mods won't work

Nick Warne nick at linicks.net
Wed Sep 1 17:22:57 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 22:06, Steven Edwards wrote:

> > Seriously there _must_ be something wrong with the way it is set up
> > for it to
> > not work.
>
> My money is on a over optimized gentoo build.

Sorry, disagree again.

An optimised built will not make the thing _not_ work as asked.  It will
crash, perhaps, or lock up... but it will initially work as it should.  On my
Xatrix server I run every Sunday for friends I built the server ded code with
Intels ICC and all the game stuff (i.e. monster code) taken out - but
whatever I start game with the server  works.  Same here on my quake2 client
Slackware 10.

No, the problems here are definitely file hierarchy/and or/the way it is
started.  If it doesn't find pak files etc, then that is a set-up problem...
not code.

Nick

--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,