[quake2] help with q2lnx

matthieu matthieu at bsdmon.com
Wed Nov 5 06:05:51 EST 2003

thanks guys for all these answers.

Jack Coates wrote:

> the // will be handled by the shell, no problem there.
i think so

> probably a problem, or other incompatibility in the config file. Here's
> my setup:
> [...]
> set gl_driver "libGL.so"
>
> note the gl driver name.

i solved the problem by simlinking libGL.so.1 in my quake2 directory:
$ls -alF /home/matthieu/prog/quake2/libGl.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 matthieu matthieu       19 Nov  4 17:49 libGL.so.1 ->
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1*

I also changed in ~/.quake2/baseq2
set gl_driver "/usr/lib/libGL.so"
set gl_driver "libGL.so"

and now i lauch with
./quake2 +set basedir /home/matthieu/prog/quake2 +set vid_ref glx
(the +set basedir is a precaution since anyway i launch from this directory)

so Quake2 launches ok and i can play.

I had a problem with:
Error: Missing Particle Picture: particles/beam.jpg
but i solved it by installing the additional maxpack.pak

i think that the segfault i described in my first mail is not due to the
softx driver, but to the fact that i have changed the renderering driver
without quiting quake, because i had also this segfault with the glx
driver if i had launched in softx and later changed to glx. In my first
tries, i launched in glx in it automatically switched to softx as it
could't find glx, so it also caused the segfault.

I have also the following litle bug: if is change any video parameter
(resolution, texture pixel format, ...) with the glx driver, and apply
the changes (apply button in the video menu) then, as soon as i press a
key, quake shutsdown with the following message:
Received signal 11, exiting...

a few other questions:
- with glx, even with brightness set at its maximum, the image is still
really dark. Is there anything to do to improve that ?
- where is the screen resolution saved ? Not in
~/.quake2/baseq2/config.cfg it seems
- In you config.cfg, jack, you have some options that i don't have in
mine. For example:
set gl_particle_att_c "0.01"
set gl_particle_att_b "0.0"
set gl_particle_att_a "0.01"
set gl_particle_size "40"
set gl_particle_max_size "40"
set gl_particle_min_size "2"
set _windowed_mouse "1"
i added these options in my config.cfg, but quake2 automatically removes
all the particle stuff, while it keeps the _windowed_mouse. Could you
explain me this behavior?