A odd problem

Chris Shafer wcshafer at cablespeed.com
Mon Mar 10 00:37:02 EST 2003

Well, I've got a rather odd problem here. Let me do my best to describe it up please forgive
any mistakes it is rather late.

Quake 2 on my machine has very bad lag when using opengl rendering, but only when using
opengl rendering and only in multi-player games where I'm not the server. If I serve
everything will be fine. If I play in single player everything will be fine. If I connect
to any q2 server in open-gl mode I will see lag over 1000 _but_only_ in open-gl modes. If I
switch to software mode my ping will drop dramatically eg 1000+ to 90.

Heres the relevant sys info:

Pent 800
Linux 2.4.20
Nvidia Geforce 4 mx 440

NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191

Tried under both Debian and Slackware on the same machine they share no files though...

Thanks Chris