Ideas

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Sun Mar 2 14:27:46 EST 2003

Some things that I would like to do, mostly to satisfy my own anal
retentive coding practices, so feel free to shoot down at will =)

1.  For a "learning" code base, I really do think prefixing functions
helps a lot.  A function like FindItemByClassname() to me is a bit
easier to identify when it's called something like
Q2_FindItemByClassName().  This way when you see SetDeviceGammaRamp()
you don't have to wonder "is that an API call or is that a Q2
internal call?!".  That's the point of the R_*, VID_*, etc. but not
everything was done that way, specifically a lot of the game code.
I'm willing to change this stuff over as it gets done.

2.  The source base is not const correct.  I fixed this once, which
was a HUGE pain in the ass, and I'm willing to fix it again if you
guys want.

3.  This is a pretty major change, but I think integrating a
scripting language like Lua would be nice.  The primary benefit is
that mods become portable again.  I think it could be done
incrementally as well -- moving leaf functions into Lua and slowly
move up the call tree until most of the game code is in script.

Once those changes are in place I think it would be great if we could
get the user community involved in doing mods and stuff without
having to have a compiler and know C, etc.

What's the story with Q_MAX?

Thoughts?

Brian