[quake2] Retexturing/Release Updates

Christian Ohm chr.ohm at gmx.net
Wed Jul 23 12:36:20 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, 23 July 2003 at 12:14, Vincent S. Cojot wrote:

> I have a very very very (I mean 'very') dumb question...
>
> I built Q2 under Solaris with the re-texturing packs.. I tried the client
> at 320x240 on a slow machine (in both softx and glx modes) but I didn't
> seem to notice much difference.. Is there a way to know if re-texturing
> works here? (link to a screenshot where to actually -see- the added
> difference).. Or should I run q2 at a higher res (will do tonight, but
> once I get home)...

I tried it too, and it didn't work. There seem to be two problems: The first
is that pakXX.pak files don't get loaded, just pakX.pak files. And second,
the jpeg loader seems to be only in src/ref_candygl/gl_image.c, not in
src/ref_gl/image.c, so it probably just works with q2max.

Bye,
Christian Ohm

PS: IMHO jpeg isn't a suitable format if you want high quality textures, see
http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/jpegs_are_evil_too.html.

--
Appearances often are deceiving.
                -- Aesop