[quake2] Q2 Max Working

Mental mental at neverlight.com
Sat Jun 15 15:34:05 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 13:51, brendanburns at attbi.com wrote:
> Well, I've got the q2 max effects working.  Check out the
> latest version in CVS and set BUILD_QMAX to YES.
> The one bug I see is:
> When you giblitize someone, it's doing some alpha effect
> (fog maybe) that slows my machine down to a crawl.  I
> suspect that my hardware just doesn't support it.  But if
> someone else could check it out on newer hardware and
> insure that it works, that'd be great.

I'll confirm that this is broken. When the gore 'fog' or whatever is
spawned, my whole screen will flash red.

There's a couple other issues as well. Stainmaps do not appear to be
working. Neither marks on the wall from gunfire nor blood are being
drawn.

Also the explosion effect from q2max is missing.

I was using sdlquake2 +set vid_ref sdlgl

This ran, but menus didnt draw correctly.

When I tried the ./quake2 +set vid_ref glx, it failed with
./quake2: relocation error: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.1: undefined
symbol: glGetInegerv

This is probably due to the fact that libGLU.so is a mesa lib, and
libGL.so is an nvidia driver. However, quake2-max and a lot of other GL
programs do not have this problem.

I haven't had so much time to look at things and I'm still trying to get
familiar with the quake2's codebase. It'd seem that in addition to
porting changes in ref_gl, also changes to qcommon, game and client are
in order. I wish there were a primer for the engine, but so far ctags is
a great help in showing me how things are connected together.

All in all, this is a good first shot. I dunno how many times i've nuked
my working copy while hacking on this and started over. :/

--

Mental (Mental at NeverLight.com)

Factorials were someone's attempt to make math *look* exciting.
--Steven Wright

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/Mental.asc