[quake2] Bot Protection?

Brendan Burns brendanburns at attbi.com
Sun Jul 21 12:02:02 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:07, Dale wrote:
> --- Brendan Burns <brendanburns at attbi.com> wrote:
> > Reasons to use our code:
> >
> > 	* a security bug allowing clients to examine server side variables
> > (eg
> > server password) has been patched.
>
> I have this patched in q2admin currently.

Good...

> > 	* you can build a q2 dedicated server binary which won't include all
> > the GUI stuff (smaller binary)
>
> Does the smaller size make it run faster?  The extra diskspace / RAM is
>
> negligible.

Nope, just saves disk space...

> The only other plus I can see is that the icculus code actually
> compiles on my system ;-)

well we try to at least have our code compile... ;-)
(although as evidenced by the recent 0.13 debacle we don't always
succeed ;-P)

actually I do remember that the id source as released had some issues
compiling on linux.  At the very least you might try using our
Makefile/directory structure in conjunction with the id source.

I'm betting that the problems you are running into come from the fact
that the structs in q2admin/g_local.h game.h and q_shared.h are
different that in our release of q2.  You might try insuring that all
the structs are the same and recompiling the source.
Let us know if you get it to work.

Good Luck!

--brendan