[physfs] What are the real benefits of PhysFS ?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Thu Jul 16 19:48:08 EDT 2009

> Why is it faster, doesn't the unzipping cause delay too?

CPU is cheap, disk bandwidth is expensive. Reading a .zip archive's file
listings might actually be faster than reading a real directory, since
the data might all be in the same page on-disk.

> Can you specify a byte pointer to load? so I could append an archive to
> my binary which would make switching versions as seemless as clicking on
> an exe?

.zip files keep a signature at the end of the archive, which means you
can append it to your .exe and PhysicsFS will treat it as a .zip file.