[physfs] What are the real benefits of PhysFS ?

Henk Boom henk at henk.ca
Thu Jul 16 17:39:13 EDT 2009

2009/7/16 Daniel Aquino <mr.danielaquino at gmail.com>:
> By operate do you mean you can also edit files in the archive?
> Why is it faster, doesn't the unzipping cause delay too?
> Can you specify a byte pointer to load? so I could append an archive to my
> binary which would make switching versions as seemless as clicking on an
> exe?

I'm not 100% sure this is what you're asking about, but zip files have
the interesting property that they can have arbitrary junk stuck onto
the beginning and they still work fine. So if you take any exe and
concatenate it with a .zip file, the result works as both, without any
need for recording what offset the zip starts at.

If you take this approach, you just need to give physfs the path to
the executable as an archive for it to load it.

    henk