[openbox] use openbox along other window managers

Lucaugusto lucasdeters+icculus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 22:24:38 EDT 2020

Thank you for the responses... I finally understood gnome 3 proposal for a
desktop, liked it, but it was not fluid enough and I was not ready to give
up of openbox keybindings, so i came back to xfce + openbox....

While trying to mimic some of the gnome concepts i made my own light
version of it:

1) using a dock. I choosed plank. The advantages of a dock: it will avoid
the opening of new instances of the same program, so I will not end my day
with GMail opened in 5 google chrome windows (am I the only one?). And I
can pin my most used programs in the dock, so it does'nt matter if I
already opened the program or not, i'll be there in the dock as if it was
already opened. If a want a second terminal window, i just type Ctrl+N to
start it. And when I click in the terminal icon on the dock it'll bring to
the front all the terminal windows i have opened, so i'll notice i probably
don't need a new one.

2) installing a search based launcher. I choosed ulauncher: fast, non
intrusive, lot of plugins.

So I think I can stay away from gnome 3 for another 5 years :P

Lucas