[openbox] using openbox with HiDPi display

Jim Rees jim at rees.org
Wed Oct 24 07:45:47 EDT 2018

Ranjan Maitra wrote:

  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . FONT ))
  (set-face-attribute 'default t :font FONT )

I believe that will set the font, but not its size. It's approximately
equivalent to the elisp I suggested but without the height attribute. But it
applies this to the default frame, which is probably what you want.

  Emacs.default.attributeHeight: 94

That will probably work too, if you don't want to do this in your .emacs.

However, this all assumes that you can apply a height attribute to a bitmap
font and have it get scaled. I don't know if this is possible.

  So, I was not sure what to put in with the FONT?

It's been so many years since I used bitmap fonts that I no longer remember
the details of how they are named. The long name is something like

  -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1

This was my default font back in the day. Fonts can have nicknames
too. These go in a file called fonts.alias. There should be a system one
somewhere and you can also have your own.

You can set the default font for all your X applications by using an X
resource like this:

  *font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1

Thanks for the trip down memory lane but I think that's about everything I
remember about the old-fashioned bitmap fonts.