[openbox] using openbox with HiDPi display

Ranjan Maitra maitra at email.com
Tue Oct 23 23:57:52 EDT 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your detailed response. Your explanations make sense.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 09:59:36 -0400 Jim Rees <jim at rees.org> wrote:

> X bitmap fonts are measured in pixels. If 10x20 is too small, use something
> bigger. But 10x20 is the biggest fixed font in X, so you may be out of luck.
>
> If it looks good in aNu, that means aNu is doing something non-standard,
> like doubling the size of the font. You can't expect other applications to
> do the same. That's why scalable fonts were invented. There may be some way
> to scale bitmap fonts in emacs, but I don't know what it would be. Maybe
> something like this?
>
> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "fixed" :height 120)

I tried this, but nothing seemed to change. So I looked around and found this with this response on the stackoverflow sites:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/10438/how-to-set-the-default-font-size/10439#10439

where I got from: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/242067/emacs-on-hidpi-screen-renders-unreadable-fonts-arch-linux#242155

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . FONT ))
(set-face-attribute 'default t :font FONT )

where FONT is a string naming the font you want, for example, "Droid Sans Mono-10".

Also, apparently we should also set the default font using .Xresources and the Emacs daemon. An example of a line suitable for ~/.Xresources for setting the default font size is

Emacs.default.attributeHeight: 94

So, I was not sure what to put in with the FONT? Should it be Fixed 10x20 or Fixed Regular 10 or something else. I tried the first two but nothing seemed to change so was wondering for some more help here. I do understand that this is not an openbox question but an emacs on HiDPI question.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan