[openbox] How to shutdown when using Openbox

Michael Siegel msi at malbolge.net
Fri Mar 23 18:09:55 EDT 2018

Am 23.03.2018 um 22:06 schrieb Oliver Kraitschy:
> Hi Gayan,
>
> I don't know if there's any command which can do that.
>
> I guess you would have to execute 'openbox --exit' and 'systemctl
> poweroff' one after the other.

AFAIK, you wouldn't have to do that because the shutdown program would
normally try to have all running programs exit cleanly before the system
is really being shut down. E.g., the man page of "shutdown" on my system
states:

  All processes are first notified that the system is going down by
  the signal SIGTERM. This gives programs like vi(1) the time to save
  the file being edited, mail and news processing programs a chance to
  exit cleanly, etc.

However, systemctl is a systemd thing and I'm not using systemd. So,
you'll have to consult the respective manual page to find out if this is
the case on your system.

Alternatively, if LDM has a shutdown option, maybe there's a way to have
that executed per a particular command. I've seen this done with GDM in
the past. You would probably just have to set the appropriate permissions.

Best,

msi