[openbox] Focus-under-mouse doesn't work (mostly)

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 19:29:14 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-30, Ian Zimmerman <itz at primate.net> wrote:
> On 2016-09-30 14:41, Jim Rees wrote:
>
>> Another thing that twm got right but doesn't work in openbox is taking
>> focus away from a window when the mouse leaves it.
>
> I think this is actually by design.  openbox is truly "focus _follows_
> mouse", not "focus under mouse".

But, there's an "under-mouse" flag in the focus section which _claims_
to do what I want....

> I think there are other WMs too which do it this way.

>> Considering that 'focus-follows-mouse' is how God's window manager
>> works, it's very hard to find an earthly window manager that gets it
>> right.

I don't remember having this problem with fvwm, fvwm2, or xfwm.

> I was a focus-under-mouse guy too, before I started using openbox.  But
> the number of corner cases which didn't work, or at least behaved
> surprisingly, was too great so I "changed my habits" (that was before I
> learned to hate that phrase, LOL).  But openbox is not a vanilla
> click-to-focus WM either: it decouples focus and z-position commands, so
> I can have keybindings that raise a window but not focus it, and vice
> versa.  And given my steadily shrinking mouse usage this is actually a
> more important feature to me than FFM/FUM.

Openbox works fine for hours at a time: no matter how I try, I can't
get my experiment to demonstrate the problem.  Then for no apparent
reason it will start to fail consistently. :/

--
Grant