[openbox] switch to a window and then switch back

Łukasz Grabowski graboluk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 14:02:54 EDT 2016

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 08:27:28 -0700
Ian Zimmerman <itz at primate.net> wrote:

> On 2016-09-23 12:14, Łukasz Grabowski wrote:
>
> > The better solution would allow to do the following: let's say I'm
> > in desktop 2. Then I press C-A-s and I see firefox window on
> > dekstop 1, then if I press C-A-s again then I should go back to
> > desktop 2.
>
> I learned to do all window switching in two ways: with the Windows
> menu, or with the directional focus keybindings.  This almost always
> gets me to the target window in 3 keystrokes, in a few cases I may
> need 4.

Good it works for you but for my use cases this is just not quick
enough (say I work in a latex editor, I want to very quickly switch to
firefox to look up an obscure amstex environment syntax, then go back).
When there are just two windows and both are on the same desktop then
the standard alt+tab is obviously quick enough, but usually I'd have at
least 3 windows (say pdf viewer with a compiled pdf) and then having a
chord for switching to firefox is the way to go imo.