[openbox] obfilebrowser

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Mon Jan 25 18:25:39 EST 2016

Hi all,

A long time ago I posted about ObFilebrowser[1] on this list (it's on the
Related Projects page). It's an Openbox pipe-menu generator for browsing
directories and launching applications by MIME-type associations. It also
includes a Desktop Entry menu generator (i.e. a "start" menu) for all installed
desktop files.

Anyway, a Python 3 rewrite has been pending for it and Mimeo[2] for years and
I've finally gotten around to it with numerous improvements to the code. The
launcher menus should be better now and the menus now include icons. Check the
project page for screenshots.

If you are unfamiliar with Mimeo, it is a command-line tool (and Python 3
module) to "open" files based on MIME-type associations. It includes support
for custom commands via argument regex matching as well so it is quite
versatile. Some of you may find it useful as a general-purpose opener with
Openbox.

For Arch Linux users, both packages are available in my repo and on the AUR.

The refactored code is still fresh (but fairly well tested already) and updates
are sometimes frequent so please be sure to have the latest version before
sending me bug reports or feature requests. All feedback is welcome.

Regards,
Xyne

[1] http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/obfilebrowser/
[2] http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/mimeo/