[openbox] Missing some actions, most importantly "GoToUrgentClient"

Klebezettel klebezettel at gmx.net
Sun Jun 28 13:27:31 EDT 2015

Dear openbox users and developers,

I've just switched from the awesome window manager to
openbox and there are some bits that I couldn't figure yet
out. I'm on openbox 3.5.2 and as far as I can tell, openbox
3.6 [1] can't help me with these either. Apart from that,
thanks for this wonderful piece of software.

1. Action for toggling between normal/top layer?
    I don't have a use case for the bottom layer (what would
    the typical one be?) and so I miss a key binding for
    toggling a client between these two layers. Currently I
    have to use *two* key bindings for this (SendToLayer).

2. Toggle decorations for *all* (normal) clients?
    I need this one for colleagues that are used to a title
    bar and are otherwise helpless (e.g. co-workers coming to
    your machine to debug sth...).

3. Exclude iconified windows in A+Tab dialog and
    restore/focus last iconified (stack)?
    This is useful if you know that you are not going to work
    with some windows for a while.

...and now the most important one:

4. I'm looking for sth. like "GoToUrgentClient".
    Awesome has "Mod4 + u" which will "Focus first urgent
    client" (man awesome). This one is super handy and my so
    far concrete use cases both involve urxt with
    URxvt*urgentOnBell:true:

      (1) IM/IRC message arrived, go there.
          (e.g. weechat inside urxvt)
      (2) Long running build job finished, go there.
          (Urxvt+tmux monitor for activity/silence)

    Now being able to focus the urgent client is on thing,
    another is to get *notified* about urgent clients. Since
    openbox is solely a window manager, there is no
    widget/panel that could notify me. Awesome has the pager
    integrated in the panel by default and would indicate an
    urgent client in the pager (red background).

    So I started to look at tint2, which is quite nice,
    except for the case that there is no way to get notified
    about an urgent client if you use the single_desktop
    setting (taskbar_mode = single_desktop), which I use...
    There is a bug report / wish for this.

    How do you solve the problem?

Best regards,
    klebezettel