[openbox] how to change language for pipemenus

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 25 19:16:42 EDT 2014

On 10/25/2014 07:04 PM, Micha wrote:
> Am 25.10.2014 23:20, schrieb Frank McCormick:
>> One and the same. See my reply to "TT" on that forum. When I didn't
>> get any responses here initially, I went to linuxforums to see if
>> anyone there had some suggestions. I have tried about 4 menu utilities
>> for Openbox - one of two which work properly I found at a site in
>> France....the other is the one provided in the Debian repositories.
>>

> First, thanks for bringing this up, I wasn't aware of obmenu-generator.
> I googled a little around and found out, there are some others too.
>
> But have you considered the mostobvious solution, the "inbuild" Debian
> menu ?
> It's more kind of a half-automatic solution, but it works nearly perfect
> for
> all applications installed with your package manager.
> The only issue there is, it does not find all icons, leaving a space then.
>
> The OB doc "Help:Menus - The Debian menu" explains everything in detail.
>
> The docs are also very helpful to get you starting configuring the rc.xml
> and the menu.xml, there is no need for a generator doing it for you.
> It is very, very simple, and once you got the trick, you can't stop
> building
> static and dynamic menus on your own, believe me !
>
> Micha

    I never did get obmenu-generator working properly - I had all sorts
of problems which may or may not have stemmed from the program..most
likely not :)

I did find one which "worked out of the box"....from a French website
it's called openbox-menu and once I had compiled it and did the
appropriate incantations over menu.xml and rc.xml...it worked
beautifully. The Debian one is also good...but there are no icons in
it's menu. Openbox is a great window manager...but the menu situation
(written in xml for Gods sake) bugs me no end. Good things there's a GUI
editor for the menus....I go cross-eyed looking at xml in a text editor :)

--
1984 was not meant as a blueprint for
democratic governments.