[openbox] how to change language for pipemenus

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 25 17:20:39 EDT 2014

   One and the same. See my reply to "TT" on that forum. When I didn't
get any responses here initially, I went to linuxforums to see if anyone
there had some suggestions. I have tried about 4 menu utilities for
Openbox - one of two which work properly I found at a site in
France....the other is the one provided in the Debian repositories.

On 10/25/2014 03:46 PM, TT wrote:
> i just noticed that someone named frank, from canada, using debian sid &
> openbox, has very similar problems, but with a different menu generator:
> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux/203309-openbox-menu-problems-sid.html
>

> i'm starting to feel a little pissed off here...
>
> Frank McCormick wrote:

>>> oh please don't do that. so much can go wrong. are you sure perl can't
>>> find them otherwise? that would be a serious problem with your distro's
>>> packet management.
>>

>>   They weren't packages from Debian - they were tar balls I un-tared
>> compiled and installed using the makefile
>> I assumed at the time they went where they were "supposed to" but
>> they didn't.
>>
>> I'd have a heck of a job finding them again and reinstalling. It's
>> rapidly becoming a problem that is more than it's worth :)
>>

>>> or maybe you can reinstall those packages, this time to /usr/share?
>>> openbox is very roundabout with this error message - could be anything.
>>> do this:
>>> obmenu-generator -i -p> sometextfile
>>
>> From a terminal?
>>

>>> then, in menu.xml, change the pipemenu's command to
>>> cat /full/path/to/sometextfile
>>> now you can open sometextfile in an editor and try to find & repair the
>>> error manually. this should give you an idea of what went wrong.
>>
>>   I ran it from a terminal but it created a test file with only one
>> line...something about pipe menu sucessfully created
>>
>>> btw, what distro/system are you running?
>>
>>   Debian Sid

>> ////trimmed for length ////

1984 was not meant as a blueprint for
democratic governments.