[openbox] how to change language for pipemenus

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 24 21:10:28 EDT 2014

On 10/24/2014 07:19 PM, TT wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>
>> I fixed that by copying them over
> oh please don't do that. so much can go wrong. are you sure perl can't
> find them otherwise? that would be a serious problem with your distro's
> packet management.

   They weren't packages from Debian - they were tar balls I un-tared
compiled and installed using the makefile
I assumed at the time they went where they were "supposed to" but
they didn't.

I'd have a heck of a job finding them again and reinstalling. It's
rapidly becoming a problem that is more than it's worth :)

> or maybe you can reinstall those packages, this time to /usr/share?
>> - but now when I insert a pipe menu using obmenu-generator using
>> OBMenu...I get invalid output.
> openbox is very roundabout with this error message - could be anything.
> do this:
> obmenu-generator -i -p> sometextfile

 From a terminal?

> then, in menu.xml, change the pipemenu's command to
> cat /full/path/to/sometextfile
> now you can open sometextfile in an editor and try to find & repair the
> error manually. this should give you an idea of what went wrong.

   I ran it from a terminal but it created a test file with only one
line...something about pipe menu sucessfully created

> btw, what distro/system are you running?

   Debian Sid

>> The line I'm using is "obmenu-generator -i -p" which according to the
>> docs should generate a pipe menu.
>>
>> I haven't figured out how to include a static menu in menu.xml yet.
>> The whole system is confusing to me...or maybe I'm getting old :)
>>

>> On 10/24/2014 05:35 PM, TT wrote:
>>> sorry, the conversation had already evolved when i sent my last
>>> answer...
>>> anyhow, that's trizen's script, a good one.
>>> it requires your attention: there should be 2 files in
>>> ~/.config/obmenu-generator, schema.pl and config.pl.
>>> hopefully they can be adjusted to display in english again. look at the
>>> files, they contain some sort of documentation.
>>> if you don't have them, copy them over from /etc/xdg/obmenu-generator/
>>> btw, i'm using the same script and just updated it and it's still
>>> english.
>>>
>>> good luck.

////trimmed for length ////

--