[openbox] set working directory when starting Openbox

Mathias Dufresne mathias.dufresne at gmail.com
Thu May 22 08:01:06 EDT 2014

Ok. I'm not an Openbox dev, nor even a dev at all, but for me this
behaviour is not part of the window manager, which ever it is. A window
manager has to provide window decoration, placement and so on, but no real
working space, only frames into which other applications would run and set
up an environment.

This was my sysadmin point of view. And I tested it:

Logging off from my X session, going into some console to:
- stop my X server as root
- connect with normal user into a console (arrived of course in my $HOME)
- cd /tmp with taht user/console
- launch stratx from that console, still in /tmp

The result was openbox started without using my ~/.config/openbox files (no
tint2 for a taskbar and so on) and the xterm I ran were all started into
/tmp rather than my own home directory.
So when Openbox is starting or running it is not changing the current
directory to $HOME.

Once back into my console I killed Openbox (ctrl + C...) and then my shell
was still positionned into /tmp too.
So Openbox do not change the directory in the terminal you use to launch
startx.

I'm using a Gentoo (modified to use systemd rather sysvinit but I don't
think impact at all the startx script, it impacts when running X and
Openbox system wide) and so my startx script could be different from yours,
I don't knkow what system you are using.

On this system startx script is part of xinit package in version 1.3.3. I
mentionned that because I expect this directory switch is done by the
command you are using to launch Openbox, which seems to be startx.

Cheers,

mathias