[openbox] how to kill an application by pointing at it?

Jim Rees rees at umich.edu
Thu Jan 9 22:51:43 EST 2014

Anthony Thyssen wrote:

  If you want to do this type of thing with mouse selection, have a look
  at various window manager utilities such as....

     xkill  (a core X window utility)
     xclosedown  - send 'close' to everything, wait a bit, then 'kill'
                   everything.  This is a great tool to attempt to nicely
                   shutdown a X login (or not if launch from session
                   manager script) in a very clean way.

     xwit        - the classic window manager utility
     wmctrl      - an alternative can do some thinsg xwit can't (and visa versa)
     wmiface     - old KDE3 window manager utility
     xdotool     - active developed, ALL featured with some 'event handling'
                   window managed utility

Thanks, that was the answer I needed. I couldn't find any one tool that does
everything I want, but here are my two menu items for twm-style close and
kill:

  <item label="Close">
  </item>
  <item label="Kill!">