[openbox] how to kill an application by pointing at it?

Tazman Deville tazmandevil at gmx.com
Thu Jan 9 21:00:16 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 05:56:14PM -0430, Diego Jose Torrealba Bravo wrote:
>    Xkill, think it comes with xorg-apps or xorg-utils. Just create an entry
>    in the root menu.

You could bind xkill to a keybinding in your rc.xml,
but that could be dangerous, if you accidentally type it,
then click on something before you notice (if you notice,
just hit <Esc>, which will kill xkill).
One thing I've done is bind <alt+p> to dmenu
(dwm http://tools.suckless.org/dmenu/ ).

<keybind key="A-p">
      <action name="Execute">
          <startupnotify>
           <enabled>true</enabled>
            <name>dmenu</name>
           </startupnotify>
           <command>dmenu_run -nb black -nf lightblue -sb lightblue -sf black -p "run program"</command>
        </action>
</keybind>

So I can just do <alt+p>, then type xkill (or
any other program I want to start).
I've bound my most used programs to key bindings
(win+t = terminator, win+b browser (iceweasel),
etc.)
I also have grun (graphical program starter thingy)
bound to win+r, but don't use that as much.

taz
--
http://tazmandevil.info
taz hungry