[openbox] Weird bug with NextWindow (ALT+TAB)

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 09:18:41 EDT 2013

On 01/10/13 16:21, Danko Krajisnik wrote:
> As it turns out, Xmodmap is the cause of the problem! If I use A-Tab
> instead of W-Tab (and don't run xmodmap), it works fine.  However, I use
> an IBM Model M keyboard so there is no Win key. I map the left Alt to a
> Win key so that Openbox keybindings dont interfere with other programs.
> How can I use xkb to remap the left Alt to a Win key? This is 2 lines in
> my .Xmodmap file but it looks to be more confusing with xkb.
>
> Thanks!

xkb is really powerful so it can do most things you want with your
keyboard. However, what you want to do is relatively simple. There’s a
symbols file with the remapping you want — altwin(swap_lalt_lwin) — and
the following command will do the trick:

setxkbmap -symbols "pc+us+inet(evdev)+altwin(swap_lalt_lwin)"

However, this assumes your keyboard is a generic 104 key PC one. I had a
look in the xkb directories and tried to search for your model keyboard
but there’s no specific ruleset for it. That being said the generic will
work fine for most purposes.

All the configuration files you’ll need are in /usr/share/X11/xkb/ and
from then on it’s trial-and-error with setxkbmap. More complex chainings
of rules and etc can be done using xkbcomp, and you can even create your
own if you want; for example, I’ve switched Print and Insert on my
keyboard because HP set them up wrong with the Fn key.

Keep the manuals open and always append -print to the command to check
what it will do first, otherwise you might end up without a working
keyboard.

Try these links for more documentation:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_Configuration_in_Xorg
https://wiki.archlinux.org/wiki/XKB